Post Polak Successfully Represented Friends of Eagle Island
December 9, 2015
Situated in the Saranac Lakes Wild Forest Region of the Adirondacks in New York, Eagle Island consists of approximately 32 total acres, and the island is accessible from the mainland only by boat. The property’s main structures were built as a “Great Camp” in 1903 for Levi Morton, former U.S. Vice President and Governor of New York, and designed by Adirondack architect William L. Coulter. Eagle Island was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and named a National Historic Landmark. It was gifted to the Girl Scouts in 1937, and utilized as a Camp for 70 years, before the Girl Scouts closed the Camp in 2009 and decided to sell it. Friends of Eagle Island, Inc., a not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) entity, was formed to prevent any sale that would have resulted in the loss of this important asset. After years of litigation and fundraising, Friends of Eagle Island was able to purchase Eagle Island and is now working to resume operations of the camp as a place of learning and adventure for young people.